Both of A2Hosting and GreenGeeks are US-based web hosting providers that are known for green hosting, easy-to-use services, and good hosting performance. Besides, there is no big difference between the sizes of their customer base.
Due to these facts, there might be some puzzlement if you want to know which web host provides the better service for you to host your website or application.
But you don’t have to worry because we are going to clear the puzzlement by offering enough details about the two companies’ price, support, performance and more. In fact, the differences in their prices and features are quite obvious.
For a general comparison between A2Hosting and GreenGeeks, you can refer to the ratings below.
Prices and Refunds
Both companies offer 3 web hosting plans. The regular prices of A2Hosting plans start at $7.99/mo, and those of GreenGeeks plans start at $4.95/mo. Judging from the regular prices which are also charged for renewals, GreenGeeks plans are a little bit more affordable.
Below are some more details regarding their prices as well as the refund guarantees.
Both provide large discounts
A2Hosting has made a 51% discount available for all of its web hosting plans. The Lite plan, which is priced from $7.99/mo regularly, is now purchasable at $3.92/mo only with the discount. The other plans, Swift and Turbo, are also much cheaper, starting at $4.9/mo and $9.31/mo. The promo link below can bring the discount to you.
Though charging low hosting fees all the time, GreenGeeks is still offering a 20% discount for the new buyers of its shared hosting plans. By following the promo link presented below, you are able to obtain the popular Ecosite Starter plan at $3.96/mo, and the other plans at $5.56/mo and $13.56/mo respectively.
Both provide freebies
When buying any plan from the two web hosts, you can get access to a number of freebies. These freebies should not be the decisive factors of your choice, but they indeed help reduce your budget.
- A2Hosting: Free website magazine, $50 Bing advertising credits, email marketing trials, and a 20% discount for TeslaThemes marketplace.
- GreenGeeks: A domain name free for the life of your hosting account, free website migration assistance, and a website marketing package.
Both allow 30-day full refunds
A2Hosting and GreenGeeks provide almost the same money back guarantees. Both of them promise full refunds for unsatisfied customers who cancel accounts during the first 30 days. To get your money back, you will need to contact their support to send the refund request. Besides, the fees paid for domains are not refundable.
Web Hosting Features
According to careful reviews, there are some differences between the two web hosts’ web hosting features, which might influence your choice.
GreenGeeks offers more hosting resources
When the number of websites, databases, email accounts, subdomains and parked domains are considered, GreenGeeks web hosting plans are more cost-effective. The Ecosite Starter plan supports unlimited websites, databases and email accounts, while A2Hosting Lite plan allows 1 website only and includes a restricted amount of other resources.
For more precise information about the differences, read this table.
|How to Claim||Link Activation||Link Activation|
A2Hosting has more developer features
While GreenGeeks provides more resources, A2Hosting appears to be a better choice for developers who need multiple advanced features or the latest versions of PHP, MySQL and Python.
In terms of the advanced features, both companies offer PHP 5, MySQL 5, Python, Perl 5, Ruby on Rails, .htaccess support, cron jobs, log files and SSH. However, A2Hosting wins due to the following things.
- PHP 5.6 and 7.0, Python 3.2, Perl 5.10, MySQL 5.6, and PostgreSQL 9.4.
- Full access to Git, Subversion, Mercurial and CVS.
Ease of use
Though the differences in the resources and developer features are big, A2Hosting and GreenGeeks are equal in the ease of use of their hosting services because they both provide cPanel as the control panel and Softaculous as the auto script installer.
As two of the most popular web hosting tools, cPanel and Softaculous make website management, application installation and security enhancement as easy as pie. The integration of the two tools even guarantees a better experience.
Performance & Data Centers
A2Hosting and GreenGeeks use multiple data centers to serve customers’ websites, and according to monitoring, both of them are doing well in speed and reliability.
Both are reliable
We have found a large number of same things regarding the reliability of the two companies’ web hosting services. To maximize the availability of the hosted websites, both of A2Hosting and GreenGeeks:
- Guarantee 99.9% service uptime for all plans.
- Supply redundant power to all data centers. UPS and backup generators are available.
- Provide redundant network connectivity which is multi-homed.
- Staff all data centers on the 24×7 basis for constant monitoring and instant problem resolving.
Backed by reliable and well-connected data centers, A2Hosting is able to keep its promise in uptime by offering nearly 99.95% uptime on average.
Similarly, GreenGeeks has exceeded the guaranteed uptime percentage of 99.9% in all the months in the past year.
Both utilize SSDs
Besides the equipment and technologies adopted to improve uptime, A2Hosting and GreenGeeks have also taken lots of measures to speed up their servers and networks so as to guarantee a good user experience.
They are among the first web hosts that equip all their shared servers with Solid State Drives. SSDs are several times more expensive and faster than the traditional HDDs.
In addition to SSDs, all the following factors also contribute to better speed.
- Multiple server locations. The available locations of A2Hosting are Michigan (US), Amsterdam (Europe) and Singapore (Asia), and those of GreenGeeks include Chicago/Phoenix (US) and Toronto (Canada).
- Constantly upgraded and optimized servers featuring a minimum of 64 GB RAM.
- Automated data caching & performance optimization for Apache and MySQL.
Due to these reasons, A2Hosting and GreenGeeks are offering quite fast hosting speed. You can see the monitoring of their server response speed in below.
Both are dedicated to green hosting
A common highlight that makes A2Hosting and GreenGeeks stand out from the crowd of web hosts is their green hosting. They both make efforts to keep their services environment-friendly by:
- Purchasing renewable energy credits. GreenGeeks even buys credits that compensate 300% of the power that its data centers consume.
- Recycling the older servers.
- Planting trees and reducing the office trash.
After-Sale Technical Support
As quality technical support is crucial to most people, we have contacted the support team of the two companies through all the available ways to test the response speed and the accuracy of the solutions. As a result, we have found that both A2Hosting and GreenGeeks are professional and considerate.
- They provide a ticket system, a toll-free phone number and live chat as the ways to contact their support teams.
- The average ticket response time for GreenGeeks is no more than 1 hour, and that for A2Hosting is no longer than 2 hours.
- The waiting time for online chats and phone calls averages less than 1 minute.
- All the support representatives have professional knowledge about web hosting and the popular scripts.
- Numerous articles and video tutorials are available in their well-organized knowledgebase.
Generally speaking, GreenGeeks provides faster technical support, while both of the two web hosts can guarantee the high quality of the solutions to customers’ technical problems.
A2Hosting or GreenGeeks?
Both are good options for those who only need a high-performance yet affordable hosting platform to build an online presence. However, the choice may still vary if you are in one of the following occasions.