eHost and HostGator are providing affordable shared hosting solutions to bloggers and small businesses. Though being affordable, their plans include rich features which can meet all the common needs, and those services are tested to be reliable, with few service interruptions.
However, differences indeed exist. According to our trials and reviews, the two web hosts are differentiated by the hosting speed, technical support, and scalability. Of course, the hosting costs are not the same, either.
In the comparison below, you will be able to get the details about the differences and similarities between eHost and HostGator.
What Are the Same Between eHost and HostGator
eHost and HostGator have been growing fast in the recent years due to their ease of use, great reliability, and the various helpful features. Also, trying their services is free of risk because refund guarantees are available. No scam at all.
Below are some of the noticeable similarities between the two companies’ shared hosting services.
- cPanel – It is the recognized best control panel for Linux hosting, providing an easy experience for both newbies and experienced users to manage websites, domains, resource monitoring, etc. A large number of server tasks are simplified by the use of this control panel.
- QuickInstall – This tool provides auto installation of dozens of popular open source scripts, so you can build and set up a website with the script you like quickly.
- Website builder – Both web hosts offer a drag-and-drop site builder which comes with thousands of free pre-made templates.
- Development features – All the two companies’ shared hosting plans include PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, Perl, CGI, FastCGI, CURL, Cron Jobs and SSH access.
- 45-day refund – All the plans are backed by a refund guarantee with which you can request a full refund within the first 45 days in case that you don’t like the service.
- 99.9% uptime – To help customers succeed online, HostGator guarantees 99.9% uptime for all of its servers and network. eHost hasn’t released such a guarantee, but monitoring indicates that this company can also provide great uptime. The two companies’ data centers are equipped with multiple reliability-enhancing methods including UPS power, backup generators and server monitoring in order to minimize the service interruptions. The chart below includes our uptime monitoring of HostGator.
What Are the Differences Between Them
According to careful comparisons, the price, scalability, speed and support are the most notable differences between eHost and HostGator.
eHost has been providing one product – a shared hosting plan – since the inception. This plan is powerful for those who have small sites to host, but when the sites grow, there is no room to scale the resources. The server control is quite limited, too.
Unlike eHost, HostGator offers different shared hosting plans to meet growing demands. Even if your needs grow beyond the most resourceful plan in one day, you can also get many other upgrade options including cloud hosting, VPS, and dedicated servers. So no matter what your demands are, HostGator gets them covered.
Shared hosting price
The price of eHost shared hosting plan starts at $5.5/mo for the initial term of first-time customers. Now there is a time-limited offer available which brings a 50% deduction to the price, so that you can see a very low rate of $2.75/mo. The plan includes a free domain for one year, and $100 Bing/Yahoo ads credits as the extras.
The renewal of the plan, however, needs a bit more. If you have chosen the 3-year term, you can still get a good price of $5.98/mo, but if the billing cycle of your account is 1 year or 1 month, you have to pay expensive fees of $9.98/mo and $13.98/mo.
HostGator plans are priced from $6.95/mo. If you sign up now and use the coupon code HG45PERCENT, you will obtain a 45% discount for $3.82/mo. This discount long exists, so you don’t have to worry about the validation at present. Besides, sometimes HostGator may release even larger discounts which reduce your cost to less than $3/mo.
All of HostGator plans come with free website transfers, $100 Google AdWords marketing credits, and $100 Bing advertising credits.
Neither of eHost and HostGator runs a self-owned data center, but the data centers they are using are proved to be reliable. Besides, their servers are custom-built with high performance in mind.
To deliver good speed to the hosted sites, HostGator has built a custom network featuring multiple major carriers, Juniper and Cisco equipment, and centralized network monitoring and management conducted by experts. This network ensures that the page loads are well guaranteed.
Our monitoring system shows that the server response time of eHost is longer than 600ms, while that of HostGator is much shorter. The records for HostGator are displayed as follows.
eHost and HostGator provide the same contact methods for their clients to reach the support team. These methods include a ticketing system, a phone number and a live chat system, which provides enough choices for the users.
What HostGator wins over its competitor are the faster support response speed and richer online resources. As an experienced shared hosting provider, HostGator knows how important a fast reply is.
In terms of the online resources, HostGator has thousands of written tutorials, training materials, video tutorials, as well as advanced blogging tips, from which you can learn a lot.
Which to Choose?
Both of eHost and HostGator are good shared hosting providers. However, if you want to support your online presence with faster speed and better technical support, you’d better choose HostGator. Besides, HostGator is definitely the better option for hosting online stores due to the excellent scalability.