eHost and SiteGround have invested much in offering good shared hosting that is reliable, fast and affordable. This leads to several similarities between their services, such as the cPanel control panel, one-click installer, reliable servers, etc.
However, due to different marketing focuses and strategies, there remain a lot of differences. If you have specific requirements on the price or a certain feature, you should pay some attention.
To make it clear how eHost and SiteGround perform in the key shared hosting elements, we have made the following table.
Similarities Between eHost and SiteGround
The shared hosting services offered by both eHost and SiteGround are easy-to-use, secure and stable. Besides, they include multiple helpful channels for technical support. Below are some of the important things that you may care about.
- cPanel – eHost and SiteGround offer free cPanel for all their shared hosting users. This great control panel, which is ranked the #1 in the industry, ensures that you can set up a website and manage it easily.
- One-click installer – eHost provides QuickInstall to automate script installation, and SiteGround supplies Softaculous, a famous installer covering 400+ scripts.
- Free domain – Both web hosts promise a free domain for each shared hosting account. As the domain is free for life, you don’t have to worry about the renewal cost.
- Good uptime – The two companies have been maintaining a relatively good reputation among the shared hosting users, and the reputation attributes much to their reliable services which deliver excellent 99.9% uptime. Downtimes occur occasionally, but most of them are acceptable, lasting for several minutes only.
- Multiple support channels – Like most other modern shared hosting providers, eHost and SiteGround provide 24×7 support services via their helpdesk, phone, and live chat. Besides, various written tutorials and FAQs are available in their knowledgebase, which helps a lot with the getting-start process.
Things That Differentiate Them
As mentioned before, the price, feature, and speed are the main differences between eHost and SiteGround.
The shared hosting plans and price
Since the inception, eHost has only been focusing on shared hosting, and currently, there is a single hosting plan available on the company’s official website. This unlimited plan is affordable, priced from $2.75/mo for the initial term, with 50% off the regular $5.5/mo. $100 marketing credits are included. Note that renewals start at $5.98/mo.
SiteGround, however, separates it offering into 3 plans. These plans charge reasonable fees for the first term, which start at $3.95/mo only, but the low rates are not applicable to any renewal. When renewing a shared hosting account, you have to spend $9.95/mo to $29.95/mo.
All of the two web hosts’ shared hosting plans are affordable at the first glimpse, while eHost is a much cheaper choice if renewals are needed.
In terms of the refund guarantee, eHost and SiteGround have different terms.
- eHost: 45-day refund. A written refund request is required.
- SiteGround: 30-day refund. The renewal orders are also eligible for a refund within the first 30 days.
In terms of the hosting feature, both eHost and SiteGround have their own merits as well as demerits. For example, eHost provides more disk space, and supports unlimited domains in its all-in-one plan. On the other hand, SiteGround offers some unique features like PostgreSQL databases, server caching, CDN and free SSL certificates.
When combining the price with the features, we find that neither of the two web hosts is a real cost-effective choice. eHost shared hosting plan is cheap, but it doesn’t include many useful development features. SiteGround plans are feature rich, but they are too expensive.
To offer more details to support this conclusion, we have compared these two hosts with InMotion Hosting, a well-known provider of cost-effective shared hosting.
|Disk Space||Unlimited||10 GB||Unlimited|
|Refund||45 Days||30 Days||90 Days|
|Claim It||–||–||Link Activation|
Shared hosting speed
eHost is reliable, and its shared hosting service is easy-to-use. However, the company lags behind most competitors in the speed. Latencies are quite normal, and according to monitoring, the server response time exceeds 1000ms at most times. The page loads are even slower, usually taking more than 5 seconds.
SiteGround does better in speed due to the utilization of multiple speeding-up technologies including full SSD storage, CDN, special content cache and HTTP/2. Compared with eHost, it delivers about 50% faster server responses. And the page loads, therefore, are much faster, too.
But honestly speaking, SiteGround is not fast enough, either, as many web hosts keep the server response time under 400ms.
eHost or SiteGround?
eHost is cheaper, while SiteGround is faster and supports more features. The choice seems quite clear because now you can make the decision based on your needs.
However, if you want a combination of the two web hosts’ advantages, you may need to consider some other options. There are indeed several shared hosting providers that offer all of rich features, good performance and helpful support at fair rates. Below are 3 of them which you can take into consideration.