GreenGeeks is a younger and smaller web hosting company than iPage. It was founded in 2008, and since then, it has been dedicated to offering affordable green hosting services that make it easy to start and manage eco-friendly websites.
iPage has been focusing on cheap web hosting which is attractive to bloggers. Now, over one million websites are hosted on the company’s servers. However, the low cost could also be the source of some problems.
After taking all the differences and similarities between GreenGeeks and iPage into careful consideration, we have made the following ratings to show our evaluation of the two web hosts’ service quality. The comparison details are offered later.
The Common Good Things of Their Shared Hosting
Both as experienced web hosting providers, GreenGeeks and iPage are good in the service reliability, and they provide some excellent features for users to start and optimize an online presence. Below are several of the common things you can get from them.
- 1-click installer – GreenGeeks provides Softaculous, and iPage offers SimpleScripts. The two script installers are the same easy-to-use.
- Sufficient hosting resources – The shared hosting plans from both web hosts allow you to host an unlimited number of websites on one account, and they include unlimited disk storage, bandwidth, MySQL databases, email accounts, and FTP accounts.
- Easy-to-use website builder – GreenGeeks and iPage provide great website builders which help you build a beautiful and professional website in a simple drag-and-drop manner.
- 30-day full refund – Going with either web host, you will get a trial period of 30 days during which you are entitled to a full refund if you terminate the account actively due to any reason.
In addition to the similarities in feature, both GreenGeeks and iPage are excellent in uptime. When using their shared hosting services, you don’t need to worry about the availability of your website because downtimes seldom happen. There is no severe security issue, either.
To guarantee the consistency of their services, the two web hosts adopt fully redundant network and power supply. Besides, their technicians keep a close eye on each piece of the equipment in their data centers, so that unexpected accidents won’t affect their services badly.
Below is the uptime of GreenGeeks in the recent 30 days.
And here are the uptime statistics of iPage.
The Significant Differences Between GreenGeeks and iPage
Despite the similarities presented above, GreenGeeks and iPage have something different in almost all the crucial aspects, such as speed, price, and feature. Small differences also exist in their technical support.
GreenGeeks provides 3 web hosting plans among which the most important one is the plan named Ecosite Starter. The regular price of this plan starts at $4.95/mo, but it can be reduced to $3.96/mo by the promotional link below. An exclusive 20% discount is available.
Besides, Ecosite Starter includes several free extras, including:
- A free domain for life or free domain transfer.
- Free website migration.
iPage offers a one-size-fits-all hosting solution. As mentioned before, this plan is among the cheapest on the market because it is now purchasable at a very low price of $1.99/mo, not to mention the large number of freebies such as $200 ads credits and free SiteLock security.
One important thing to note is that the cheap price, which is discounted 83% from the regular rate, is applicable to the first term only. The renewal cost starts at $11.95/mo, which is much higher than that of GreenGeeks Ecosite Starter plan.
Features included in the shared hosting plans
In terms of the hosting feature, the main differences between GreenGeeks and iPage lie in the following things.
- GreenGeeks offers cPanel while iPage doesn’t. iPage provides a control panel named vDeck which is also easy-to-use but not as rich-featured and intuitive as cPanel.
- GreenGeeks offers more development features than iPage, including Ruby on Rails and SSH.
According to user reviews and performance monitoring, GreenGeeks is better than iPage when it comes to the web hosting speed. iPage is not very slow, while its competitor has achieved better results due to the following reasons.
- The utilization of Supermicro servers with Intel processors and high-performance Solid State Drives.
- More server locations – two in the US (Chicago and Phoenix), and one in Canada (Toronto).
- Network equipment purchased from Juniper and Cisco.
You can see the performance monitoring in below.
The efficiency of technical support
Both GreenGeeks and iPage provide helpful technical support. The support resources are rich, including live chat, phone, email, support ticket, and a knowledgebase. All of these resources are available 24×7, so you can always seek help easily. However, two differences still exist.
- GreenGeeks support team is more responsive. When you start a chat or call, you can reach a support representative in no time. Also, tickets are dealt with in minutes. The waiting time for iPage is a little bit longer.
- GreenGeeks provides video tutorials for cPanel, website builder, and the popular content management systems including Drupal.
Both web hosts are reliable options for shared hosting. But depending on their different focuses, we would make the following suggestions if you are eager to make a choice.