Host28 is a privately owned web hosting company which was founded in 2001. In the past decades, this company has been dedicated to Linux based shared web hosting services by holding the goal to serve bloggers and small businesses with professionalism and the best possible features.
Based in Chicago, IL, Host28 has gained a quick growth due to the maturity in hosting business sites and open source scripts. At present, the company is the hosting choice of thousands of Drupal users.
There are many positive comments online. To find out whether the company lives up to its fame, we started a Drupal site with the Basic plan at the beginning of this year. After nearly a year’s trial, we have nothing to say but thumbs-up.
In this Host28 review, we will share our experience and analyze the good aspects and the limitations of the company’s Drupal hosting. But first, take a look at the ratings below.
What Are Good with Host28?
Host28 is quite professional in Drupal hosting, and it does well in affordability, ease of use, performance, and support.
Affordable hosting packages
At present, there are three plans which are crafted for hosting Drupal. Based on the target users, the plans are named as Basic, Advance and Business. All of them are reasonably priced, and if you sign up for one year or longer through the promotional link below, you can obtain up to 58% discounts. Below are some pricing details.
- Basic: Starting at $2.49/mo, 58% off the original $5.99/mo.
- Advance: Starting at $3.99/mo, 50% off the original $7.99/mo.
- Business: Starting at $9.99/mo, 37% off the original $15.99/mo.
You can pay your bills through PayPal and credit cards, and the flexibility of payments is ensured by multiple choices of billing cycle, including 1/6/12/24/36 month(s). The discount grows as the billing cycle lengthens.
To increase the price value, Host28 includes a number of freebies in each hosting plan. For example, all plans come with instant setup and free daily backups. To meet business needs, the Business plan also covers a free dedicated IP, a private SSL certificate, a free .com domain for life and free domain privacy – all at a cost that is no more than $10/mo.
In addition, you should know that Host28 offers a 30-day full refund guarantee to make sure customer satisfaction. Unsatisfied users can exit easily without suffering a loss.
Worry-free and easy experience for hosting Drupal
Host28 provides many tools and features to guarantee a good using experience for Drupal users. To be specific,
- 100% Drupal compatibility is ensured by PHP 5.5, MySQL 5.5, PostgreSQL 9.1, and SQLite 3.3. These versions have far exceeded the system requirements for running Drupal 7, and they are also enough for Drupal 8.
- Softaculous installer is available, with which you can start a Drupal site within minutes without any assistance from others. It is a great tool for beginners.
- cPanel is offered to simplify the management of domains, databases, files and Drupal site security. This control panel is easy-to-use.
- Host28 offers free site migration service. So if you have hosted a Drupal site with another web host, the support team can migrate the site for you without any downtime.
Rich hosting features
Depending on the pricing, Host28 hosting plans include different amounts of resources. Basic comes with 1 hosted domain, 100 GB disk storage, 1 MySQL database, and 50 email accounts, while the other two plans have unlimited domains, storage, databases and emails. Despite these differences, unlimited bandwidth is available for all plans.
Besides the resources, you can gain many other hosting features no matter which plan you choose. Here, we list some of the features in below.
- Mail features: POP3, SMTP, IMAP, auto responders, mailing lists and SpamAssassin.
- Development features: Perl, Python, Ruby, Node.js, SSH, Git, and Cron Job.
- Analytics features: Analog software, error logs, referral logs, and Awstats.
- Security features: Shared SSL certificate, suPHP, Leech protection, hotlink protection and automated backups (30 copies).
Host28 promises 99.9% uptime for all users. And according to the performance of our Drupal site, the promise has been fulfilled in each single month in this year. The average uptime in the past 10 months is 99.95%. And the records of the last 30 days are displayed in below.
After investigating into the data center facilities and the network infrastructure, we finally found the exact reasons for the excellence.
- Host28 data center is equipped with a high level of physical security, a redundant power supply system, and multiple network connections.
- The CloudLinux operating system isolates accounts apart to make sure your site will not get down because of other users on the same server.
- The company has a team of technicians monitoring data center and network all the time, so that sudden issues can be noticed and addresses quickly.
Host28 is fast. Our monitoring shows that in most times, the server response takes less than 400ms, and most pages, even with fairly large images, are loaded in 2 seconds. These figures are quite outstanding in a shared hosting environment. The chart below shows the latest server response records.
The fast speed attributes to many factors. For instance, the servers Host28 uses are Dell branded and running dual processors and SSDs; 24×7 monitoring is performed for all servers to make sure the best possible performance, and CloudFlare CDN is available for delivering static content in a much faster speed.
World-class technical support
We know that technical support is an important criterion for testing the quality of a shared hosting package. So during the past months, we have tried all the available communication channels to contact Host28 support team and ask questions related to email, database optimization, SSH, etc.
The results are all satisfying, which persuades us of the company’s excellence in support. Below are the highlights.
- Easy to access. Host28 support team is reachable through tickets and live chat. Google+, Twitter and Facebook are also where you can seek help for some simple account-related issues.
- Responsive. Tickets are usually well replied within half an hour, and responses for live chat are made in no more than 60 seconds.
- Professional. All support representatives have rich experience in web hosting and Drupal, so they know how to help.
Also, Host28 has maintained a knowledgebase which includes tutorials about account management, control panel, email, domain, and more. Some website optimization tips are also included.
What Are the Limitations?
Nothing is perfect. Currently, Host28 has the following limitations.
No phone support
Host28 does not offer technical support through phone, one of the quickest ways for users to get in touch with the support team. This causes some inconvenience if you want a quick answer to a simple question. However, when there is a complicated issue, we’d suggest you submit a ticket instead of having a chat because the former way allows enough time for the support team to work out a proper solution.
No VPS or dedicated server
This is not a disadvantage because the company has been concentrating on professional shared hosting service. But if your website is planned to have a fast growth, Host28 packages may become insufficient one or two years later. The lucky case is that the web host may have already offered more advanced services at that time.
Verdict – Host28 Is Recommended for Hosting Drupal
Although Host28 is not among the most well-known hosting providers, it is indeed a good option for Drupal users desiring ease of use, great performance and responsive support at a small budget. If you are impressed, simply try a plan now without any risk. Remember that you are backed by a 30-day refund guarantee.