NameCheap was primarily founded as a domain registrar, while it is also offering various types of hosting services as well as security solutions now. InMotion, however, has been holding a single goal of providing high-performance hosting solutions to all sizes of websites and applications.
As the two companies offer a wide variety of hosting services, this comparison between them is only concerned with their shared web hosting plans in order to make things as clear as possible. You can rest assured that there are enough details for you to judge the service quality.
As the comparison is made from multiple aspects including the speed, uptime, price and technical support, we have given ratings to those aspects in the following table.
The Common Good Things of Their Shared Hosting
Both of NameCheap and InMotion value the ease of use of their services much, so they provide some great things in their shared hosting plans, such as cPanel and 1-click script installers. Besides, their services are reliable. Below are the details.
- cPanel – This control panel is available in all the shared hosting plans of the two web hosts. With the modern design, simple navigation and rich features, cPanel helps much in simplifying the management of domains, files, emails, FTP accounts, etc.
- Softaculous – This auto script installer is one of the best on the market. It supports over 400 scripts including Drupal and WordPress, so that you can always install the application you want with the least efforts.
- Common development features – All the two companies’ web hosting plans include PHP, MySQL, Perl, Python, SSI, CGI and SSH, which can meet most of the common needs.
- Good uptime – NameCheap and InMotion guarantee 99.9% uptime for shared hosting, and in reality, they are able to make you satisfied by reaching such a percentage. Their uptime monitored by us exceeds 99.9% in most months, which is excellent. Below is the monitoring of InMotion uptime.
What Are the Differences?
There are many differences remaining between the shared hosting plans offered by NameCheap and InMotion. For example, NameCheap focuses on cheap prices, while InMotion cares much more about performance.
NameCheap offers cheaper shared hosting plans
NameCheap provides some of the cheapest shared hosting plans. Currently, 4 plans are available, among which 3 of them are very cheap. The 3 plans are now priced at $0.82/mo, $1.66/mo and $2.49/mo.
However, when buying these plans, you have to pay attention that:
- The cheap prices are valid for the first year only. Renewals require $3.24/mo, $6.57/mo and $10.82/mo respectively, which are somewhat expensive.
- NameCheap only offers an annual term. No other billing cycle is available.
InMotion offers a total of 3 shared hosting plans, and in fact, all the plans are affordable, too. They are now purchasable from $3.49/mo only for the initial term, and the renewal cost starts at $6.99/mo.
Besides, for any of the plans, you can get the following extras for free.
- A free website builder and free daily website backups.
- $250 advertising credits.
- A free domain name.
InMotion provides a much longer refund period
NameCheap is not doing well in the refund guarantee. As most shared web hosts allow 30 days for customers to ask for refunds, this company only offers 14 days.
On the contrary, InMotion is considerate and confident enough to guarantee 90-day full refund. This industry-leading guarantee ensures that you can gain a worry-free experience.
InMotion provides better features
At the same pricing level, InMotion provides more hosting resources and features, so that you get more possibilities for hosting your site. To show you how this happens, we have compared NameCheap Professional plan with InMotion Launch plan. Here are the details.
|Disk Space||50 GB||Unlimited|
|Ruby on Rails|
|Backups||Twice Per Week||Daily|
|Safe Application Rollback|
|Google Apps Integration|
|How to Claim||–||Promo Link|
InMotion is much faster
Both of NameCheap and InMotion utilize Solid State Drives (SSDs) to speed up their hosting services. However, while the latter provides pure SSD storage, the former seems not. This may be one of the reasons why InMotion does much better in our monitoring of the server response time.
In fact, InMotion has been among the fastest shared hosting providers. It uses two data centers housed with high-performance Dell servers, and builds its own network offering gigabit connectivity.
Monitoring shows InMotion is over 150% faster than its competitor in the server response speed.
InMotion is perfect in technical support
With years of experience, NameCheap and InMotion now can provide helpful support services to their hosting users. With both of them, you can seek a solution to your trouble in any of the following ways.
- A live chat system in which the support agents stay online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- A ticket system which allows you to submit tickets with the detailed descriptions about your problem. The replies usually include a solution.
- A knowledgebase which includes the answers to hundreds of common questions.
However, we do find that InMotion has done a better job. Firstly of all, this company provides 24×7 telephone support which is quite useful when you have emergent issues. Secondly, the company’s forums are backed by real experts, so when you ask a question, you can get an answer from a professional in minutes. And at last, InMotion offers a lot of hosting tools and resources in its support center.
InMotion Is the Winner
With more dedication to web hosting services, InMotion has positioned itself among the top providers around the world. That’s why it gains the edges in support, performance, and hosting features.
Therefore, regardless of the size and type of your website, using InMotion shared hosting should be the better choice than going with NameCheap. You get 90 days to have a try, after all.