This Site5 vs DreamHost comparison is conducted with the purpose of helping users figure our which company is a better choice for Drupal hosting.
It is widely known that Site5 and DreamHost are two popular and experienced web hosting providers who have been in the market with a history of more than 10 years. They have much in common in their Drupal hosting solutions, along with many differences. In this case, it is usually not easy to make a right decision between the two companies.
In the following sections, we will thoroughly compare multiple aspects that users worldwide may concerned about Site5 and DreamHost Drupal hosting services, such as their prices, features, performace, page loading speed, and technical support.
Overall Rating of the Two Companies
Before everything, we’d like to present you the following rating table formed on the basis of our real hosting experiences and webmasters’ feedback. Hopefully, you can get an overall impression of the two companies hosting services before entering to more comparison details.
Common Points Between Site5 and DreamHost
As two popular Drupal hosting providers, both Site5 and DreamHost have reached a considerable number of users throughout the globe. By our comprehensive investigations, they share some common points mainly in the offering of hosting features and utilization of renewable resources. Scroll down to check for more detailed explanations.
Drupal hosting features
Both Site5 and DreamHost include the following features:
- Unlimited disk storage and bandwidth, which ensure sufficient resources for running Drupal sites.
- Fully Drupal compatibility favored by the latest versions of PHP, MySQL, and Apache web server.
- 1-click Drupal installer, with which, no special knowledge requirement is needed for installing Drupal.
- Unlimited MySQL databases, email accounts and FTP accounts.
- Easy to use cPanel and advanced web-based control panel.
- Perl, Python, Ruby, SSI, SSL, SSH.
- Daily backup service.
Another point the 2 companies have in common is their green hosting feature. Partnered with MokuGift and the UN Environment Program, Site5 has done a lot, for example, planting a tree for each new hosting account, to offset their servers’ overall impact on the planet.
DreamHost, on the one hand, has joined the US Green Chamber and participated in their “100 Cities for Change” program. On the other hand, they also deploy many more servers with notoriously power-efficient AMD processors. Actually, things they do are far more than these.
Site5 Edges over DreamHost
It goes beyond saying that the two companies hosting services are not all the same. With the deepening of this comparison, we have found that Site5 have its own edges over DreamHost in the following aspects.
- Free website migration. If you have your website hosted with somewhere else, you can rely on Site5 to help you move your website files, databases, emails and more to this web host.
- Multiple server location options. Site5 has multiple server locations, including US, Canada, UK, Europe, Asia and South America.
- Backstage account manager. This is a feature unique to Site5 customers, the purpose of which is to bring together all the account details you manage. With this manager tool, you can easily control domains, contact the support team, get details on your support tickets and view the server status, etc.
- Phone Support. In addition to the technical support via email and live chat, Site5 also offers phone support during 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM from Monday to Friday. However, as for DreamHost, phone support is only available on the condition that you spend certain money to purchase the Premium Support service.
DreamHost Edges over Site5
By contrast, DreamHost, as a relatively reputable Drupal hosting provider in the field, has done a better job than its rival in the aspects listed as below.
More cost-effective hosting packages
Over the years, DreamHost has been providing a single hosting plan that is all-inclusive that is mainly designed to cover the needs of individuals and small business owners. In regular, it prices this plan at $9.95/mo, which is a little bit expensive compared with many other excellent Drupal web host.
However, now the company is offering a 50% discount for those who following the promotional link as below, cutting the prices to $4.95/mo.
Besides the affordable discounted price, there are some other benefits you can get if you purchasing services from DreamHost.
- More free extras, including 1 free domain name for life, domain privacy protection, free setup and $100 Google Adwords credits.
- Much longer refund period. DreamHost offers a 97-day full refund while Site5 only allows the full refund within the first 45 days.
As for Site5, its hosting package is regularly priced starting at 5.95/mo for 2-year billing and $6.95/mo for 1-year billing. However, unlike DreamHost does, this web host lacks extra benefits. Given all that, DreamHost is more cost-effective than the latter.
Both Site5 and DreamHost claim to guarantee 99.9% uptime at least. According to our monitoring, both web hosts have done well. However, DreamHost has a slightly better uptime.
DreamHost not only rents 2 data centers located in Log Angeles, CA, but also utilizes the Debian Linux web servers and many other advanced related facilities. Therefore, DreamHost is able to deliver a 99.92% uptime on average.
As for Site5, this provider has many data center servers in different locations, in order to ensure customers to select the nearest one to get better performance. However, truth speaks louder than words, the occasional downtime can hardly make people acceptable.
Faster page loading speed
According to our monitoring recorded in the last month, we find that DreamHost is faster than Site5. Here you can see the server response time of DreamHost.
To be frank, the 500 ms is not an excellent result as compared with many other web hosts we have reviewd, but is still faster than Site5. After all, Site5 has very limited hardware and speeding up related technologies, which are important factors for speed.
According to this in-depth Site5 vs DreamHost comparison, both companies are 100% Drupal compatible with rich hosting features. However, when the price, uptime, speed, and support are taken into account, DreamHost has outperformed its rival a lot. Therefore, if there is a need to make a choice between the two companies, we recommend you try DreamHost.
From the illustrations above, it is not difficult to see that even the better on out of the two companies, that is, DreamHost, has some obvious drawbacks, which make its Drupal hosting not as competitive as that of some leading providers.
As a result, we suggest you check the offerings of the following better alternatives if you are looking for a Drupal hosting provider that is trustworthy in a real sense.